Top 10 things to do in Taos in the summer
Looking for an adventure before this summer ends? Come to Taos and add these top summer activities to your itinerary for the perfect getaway!
1. Hiking: Get outside and explore the variety of trail systems surrounding Taos! Visit the Carson National Forest, Taos Ski Valley, or the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument for exceptional hiking trails and scenic views.
2. Biking: Many of the trail systems also cater to mountain bikers if you want a little more speed for your outdoor adventure. Angel Fire Resort also has a bike park open in the summer with more than 60 miles of trails and challenges.
3. Whitewater rafting: Ride the rapids with a whitewater rafting trip just outside of Taos! The rushing rapids will certainly feel refreshing as you ride the class III waves. Most tours offer half-day and full-day whitewater rafting trips, so plan at least five to six hours for this summer adventure.
4. Hot air balloon ride: See Taos and a whole lot of New Mexico from new heights on a hot air balloon ride. It’s the perfect way to start your day, as most begin right before sunrise, and you’ll be able to capture some amazing photos in the early morning light. If you enjoy your ride, you might wish to come back to Taos in October for the annual Taos Mountain Balloon Rally!
5. Visiting art galleries: Take a break from the heat and cool off as you take in stunning works of art at Taos’ collection of art galleries. You might also want to take a look at the unique works of D.H. Lawrence, right here at Hotel La Fonda de Taos!
6. See the Rio Grande: See the beautiful Rio Grande Gorge and drive across the famous Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. The bridge is about a 20-minute drive from our hotel.
7. Go golfing: Get out on the green and play a round of golf during your Taos getaway. We recommend either the Taos Country Club, just about 15 minutes from our hotel, or take a trip to Angel Fire Resort to play their 18-hole course with spectacular mountain views.
8. Horseback riding: Get in the spirit of the Old West when you get in the saddle atop your trusty steed with a horseback riding adventure near Taos. There are a few outfitters nearby that offer simple one-hour rides to full-day rides for the experienced equestrian. Try Nancy Burch’s Roadrunner Tours or Rio Grande Stables.
9. Go on a llama trek: A unique New Mexico adventure awaits when you book a day hike with Wild Earth Llama Adventures! You’ll love being able to tell people that you took a llama to lunch in Taos.
10. Walking tour: Whether enjoying a self-guided tour of the Taos Plaza, our historical sites, or treating yourself to a delectable food tour, a walking tour is a great way to get to know Taos – especially under the warm summer sun.
There are so many things to do in the summer in Taos that we’re sure you’ll be able to plan your own itinerary outside of these highly-rated activities. During your time in Taos, be sure to stay at the highly-rated Hotel La Fonda de Taos and enjoy our convenient Plaza location and beautifully decorated rooms.