14 Romantic Things To Do in Taos
Taos is a city that is rich in history and culture, coupled with beautiful mountain scenes that make this a perfect place for a romantic couples’ retreat. There are so many romantic activities in Taos, from beautiful scenic drives to colorful New Mexico sunsets, we have selected our top choices of romantic things to do in and around Taos.
- Taos Plaza and Taos Historic District - Walk hand in hand through The Plaza of Taos and discover shops, galleries, and beautiful adobe structures, that are colored in the evening with the sunsets of New Mexico. Start with exploring the Hotel La Fonda on your journey through the historic district by viewing the “forbidden art collection” by D.H. Lawrence.
- High Road to Taos - Take a scenic drive along the famously historic High Road to Taos. This 56-mile scenic drive winds through the Sangre de Cristo mountains between Santa Fe and Taos. With mountain views and historic landmarks to visit along the way, this drive brings the best of New Mexico together for an unforgettable day trip.
- Sunsets at the Overlook - Head out for a drive about 10 miles south of Taos Plaza to the area called the Overlook. Stopping at pullout spots along the way with amazing views, be sure to head to the top for views of the expansive plateau and of course the iconic Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. With trails nearby, this is a great place to hike, bike or take a walk to view all the vantage points this area has to offer.
- Hike to Williams Lake - For the outdoor adventurous couple, a hike up to Williams Lake is a must. Located in the Taos ski valley, this easily accessed, short trail leads you through breathtaking mountain terrain with views of Williams Lake at the 11,000 ft. summit.
- Kit Carson Park - If mountain hikes aren’t your thing but still want to take a romantic stroll amongst the natural outdoor beauty of Taos, then head to Kit Carson Park. With trails for walkers and joggers alike, this open space also offers the perfect setting to enjoy a picnic in the grass fields while gazing up at the mountains.
- Natural Hot Springs - Located just north of Taos, there are two natural hot springs, Black Rock and Manby Hot Springs. Both requiring a small walk out to the soaking spots, they are a great place to enjoy a little rest and relaxation, while taking in all the beauty New Mexico has to offer.
- Taos Water Sage Spa - Offering a variety of spa packages with couples in mind, book a romantic couples massage at the Taos Water Sage Spa. Offering everything from Swedish and deep tissue massages to Reiki and Chakra work, there is a little something for everyone. So, take a day and treat you and your loved one to a day at the spa.
- Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway - Take your time exploring this scenic byway and see why New Mexico has long been named the “land of enchantment”. From the Taos Gorge Bridge to the ranch and home where the famous writer, D.H. Lawrence is buried, there is so much to see on this 83-mile loop. And if an outdoor excursion is a part of your plans, visit the spectacular Eagle Nest Lake State Park, where you can hike, fish, and cross-country ski, depending on the time of year.
- Winery Tour- Book a winery tour with Turquoise Tours and explore the oldest grape growing region in the country. The tour includes stops to three different family wineries where you will sample various local New Mexican wines. As a bonus, this tour picks you up at your hotel, so you don’t have to worry about driving.
- Chokola Bean to Bar - Head to the one and only Chokola Bean to Bar, where the love of chocolate is celebrated and adorned. Sample hand crafted coffee, hot or cold sipping chocolate, mousse, gelato, or even a milkshake. This is truly one of the best ways to “treat” your loved one!
- Lambert’s of Taos - Come enjoy the “best of Taos” at this cozy romantic hidden sanctuary where guests enjoy the contemporary cuisine and handcrafted cocktails. End the evening by selecting a glass of wine from their extensive wine list, while enjoying time together out on the Treehouse Lounge.
- ParCht Bottleshop & Bites - Looking for a unique date spot, well ParCht is that spot. Create and sample from your own custom tasting board of cheeses and charcuterie and order a glass of wine or a pint of craft beer to compliment your taste buds.
- Picnic at the Rio Grande Gorge - Take your relationship to new heights, while admiring the views of the Rio Grande Gorge. Make time to sit back and enjoy a picnic lunch on one of the many designated picnic areas in the park. Then talk a walk across the bridge and peer down over 500 ft. to the Rio Grande river.
- Adobe Bar - Known as the “living room of Taos”, this cozy bar is a favorite amongst locals and travelers alike. This lively spot is perfect for an after-dinner drink where you can cuddle up together by the indoor fountain and kiva fireplace.